Frequently Asked Questions

EducationUSA Adviser is always ready to answer your questions about higher education in US and the application process to colleges and universities. Below you can find a general set of questions and answers that can help in your journey to the American Higher Education.

  1. Who is eligible to apply to an American college or university?

High school graduates are eligible to apply for undergraduate  study  (a  2-year  Associate  or  4-year Bachelor  of  Arts  or  Bachelor  of  Science  degree).

Those students who already have an undergraduate degree are eligible to apply for a graduate degree.

  1. Do I need to speak and read English well before I go or take an English competency test?

Yes on both counts. Your coursework will be challenging enough without the extra burden of learning English. Competitive American universities and colleges require a high score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Furthermore, the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) may be required by some undergraduate institutions.

  1. Is it expensive? How much money do I need?

Yes, higher education in the U.S. is generally expensive. For undergraduate  study  it  is  very  difficult  to  get  financial  aid  from  a  public  university. However, private universities are more generous and sometimes award scholarships to students of exceptional academic ability. You should explore school costs at the beginning of your research, in order to avoid applying to a school it will be impossible for you to afford.

  1. How do I choose a college or a university?

Before you choose a college or a university, you should  have  a  clear  idea of  your  field  of  interest/study,  your  family’s  financial  resources  or  other sources of funding, and your career plan

  1. When should I start the application process?

Early! You should begin the application process at least 12 months before you plan to attend school.

  1. What type of visa will I be eligible for?

Most non-U.S. citizens who wish to study in the United States will seek an F-1 (non-immigrant) student visa. However, not everyone will be granted a visa. Please refer to for more information.

  1. Where can I get more information on study in the U.S.?

EducationUSA Advising Center in Ashgabat

Tel.: +(993 12) 36-90-16 / 36-90-21

EducationUSA – Ashgabat 

Monday to Friday (10:00-17:00) except lunch time (13:00-14:00)
Phone: +99363502036

For all EducationUSA inquires:

American Corner in Dashoguz
Tel./Fax: 993-322-60773

American Corner in Turkmenabad
Tel./Fax: 993-422-33771

American Corner in Mary
Tel./Fax: 993-522-73865 or 73979