Purpose of Position: To assist the PDO Teacher in preparing program participants for their exchange experience using materials provided by American Councils; to plan PDO sessions together with the local PDO team; to share your experiences as an alumna/us of the program; to teach students in English about American culture and life in an American host family.
Description of Duties:
- Learn the established goals and objectives of the program and its pre-departure orientation materials;
- Attend the entire in-person four-day Training of Teachers workshop (TOT) in April and become thoroughly familiar with the lesson plans;
- Actively participate in PDO planning and preparation meetings coordinated by your local program hub office in the time period between the TOT workshop and the beginning of your assigned PDO cycle;
- Assist orientation teachers by acting as a cross-cultural resource and role model for students;
- Conduct Alumni-led sessions of the PDO, as assigned;
- During non-classroom hours, be a supportive listener and positive role model for students;
- Maintain program integrity at all times by enforcing organizational rules and regulations;
- Perform other logistical duties as assigned by the Program Hub Director.
Reports to: Program Hub Director
- Alumni of the FLEX/YES program who successfully completed their program with no extensive on-program issues. Only students who participated on the program between and including the 2016-2017 and 2019-2020 academic years are eligible to apply;
- Alumni must have completed their secondary school education;
- Comfortable with large numbers of teenagers and able to relate to their anxieties while acting as an authority figure;
- Demonstrated ability to deal with unpredictable situations;
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and ability to function with staff of different ages and cultural backgrounds;
- Available to teach two to three PDO cycles in June or July 2023 (as determined by Program Hub Director);
- Has previously taught no more than one PDO cycle. Returning TAs are required to go through the application and interview process;
- Alumni Coordinators are NOT eligible for this position.
To Apply: Complete the Alumni Teaching Assistant Application Form and Essay, and return them to the American Councils office staff via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: February 3, 2023